The Pet Taining and Behavior Regulation Model.Because Our Pets Deserve It!
Pet Training and Behavior COnsulting
What Regulation Should Look Like!
In this book, we present our views on the need for a level and model of oversight in the fields of pet training and behavior consulting and for those choosing to practice within them. We discuss the prevalence of individuals who hold no credentials, formal education, knowledge or skills, yet who are today working across the nation with full responsibility for the well-being and welfare of their unknowing clients’ treasured pets.
We believe that the pet industry worldwide needs increased regulation, oversight, and adherence to policies and procedures, and best practices as applied to:
1. The concept of professional competency, skills, and knowledge of practitioners.
2. The delivery of and adherence to professional ethics of a similar and high standard, such as those applied in the behavioral sciences and the medical profession.
3. Transparent and honest operational policies that protect the end-user and the consumer from fraudulent and deceptive operational and marketing practices.
The book also highlights the lack of consumer protection and transparency across the marketing and operations platforms of many pet-related businesses, as well as the inherent weakness in how pets are legally classified, and how the current lack of reported and enforced animal cruelty laws means there is insufficient protection when it comes to holding pet professionals accountable for their methods, approach and philosophies toward their craft and the pets they serve. Want access now?
This book is dedicated to the millions of pets who share our lives, our homes and our love – You deserve better!
- One: What Is Occupational Licensing?
- Two: Living Property – The Need for a New Legal Definition
- Three: Professionals Should Exemplify and Promote Anti-Cruelty Statutes
- Four: How Pets Learn and the Consequences of Methodology, Equipment and Philosophical Choice
- Five: A Call for an industry-wide, Professionally Acknowledged Best Practice
- Six: Canine Communication and Social Behavior
- Canine Communication and Social Behavior
- Seven: Competency Is Mission Critical
- Eight: Ethics in Pet Training and Behavior Consulting
- Nine: Consumer Protection and Transparency
- Ten: Pet Industry Oversight Recommended Implementation Model
FREE Individual Downloads come with this book with the PDF purchase.
- Appendix A: The Recommended Best Practice Model for Pet Training and Behavior Consulting Professionals
- Appendix B: The Recommended Model for the Assessment of a Professional’s Knowledge and Skill
- Appendix C: The Recommended Career Stage Mentoring Model
- Appendix D: The Recommended Consumer Acknowledgement Form for Transparency in Dog Training/Behavior Consulting Services
- Appendix E: The Recommended Case Study Template for Behavior Consultants
- Appendix F: The Recommended Corporation Professional Code of Conduct and Ethics Pledge
- Appendix G: The Recommended Policy for Registration Renewal via Continuing Education
This book was the brainchild of Niki Tudge. After working on a “paper” for several months about Industry Regulation Niki realized that the project needed help. Debra Millikan contributed the chapter on Competency, Louise contributed the chapter on Ethics and Susan Nilson co-authored the chapter on Canine Communication and also edited and formatted the final book.
Niki Tudge MBA PCBC-A CDBC CDT , Susan Nilson BA (Hons) DipCABT PCBC-A, Debra Millikan PCBC-A AABP-CABT CAP2, and Louise Stapleton-Frappell BA (Hons) PCT- A PCBC-A CAP3 CTDI DN-FSG DN-CPCT CWRI
What People Are Saying About This Book
“This is a “must-have” book for any serious force-free trainer, in my opinion. We’re looking toward the future, and must have a road map to stop the flow of shock collars and abusive practices under the guise of “dog training.” I”m so tired of fighting… To find a beautifully crafted PLAN to move our field forward, free of abusive devices and practices, is truly a breath of fresh air. This book is absolutely LOADED with important topics that are music to the ears of any trainer looking to support their position on FF, or involved in animal welfare. Thank you for writing this!” – Linda Michaels, MA (Psychology), creator of the Hierarchy of Dog Needs and author, ‘Do No Harm Dog Training’
“Tudge, Nilson, Millikan, and Stapleton-Frappell make a compelling argument for, and lay out a comprehensive blueprint to create, the future of our profession.” – Veronica Boutelle, dogbiz founder and author, ‘How To Run a Dog Business: Putting Your Career Where Your Heart Is’
“I would urge anyone interested in the direction of the industry to get a copy. It has been invaluable for a project I am involved in, and identifies and clarifies really important aspects of the industry that desperately need addressing. Even as an individual practitioner it provides a great resource for identifying best practice.
Great work by Niki and the team.” – Andrew Hale, chair of association of INTOdogs
“Check out this groundbreaking new resource for the pet training and behavior consulting industry written by the best in the business.” – Paula Garber, owner of LIFELINE Cat Behavior Solutions and chairwoman of the Pet Professional Guild Feline Committee
“…the most important book for professionals. Ground breaking, brave and very important.” – Angelica Steinker, owner of Courteous Canine, Inc, The DogSmith of Tampa and author, ‘Agility Success’ and ‘Click and Play Agility,’ and co-author of ‘A Lexicon of Practical Terms for Pet Trainers and Behavior Consultants’
“Reliable, scientifically accurate behavioral information from experts in the field.” – Gallivan Burwell, owner of Upward Dog Training & Counseling
“Knowledge is power and every trainer, behaviorist, groomer, caregiver should educate themselves as much as they can to better the lives of the dogs in their care and the learning taking place between dog and human.” – Jenny Higgins Nguy, owner & canine behavior consultant at PUPS Dog Training
Join the Email List
Stay up to date on our latest news & events
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact